Counselling Placements at AYA
We offer volunteer counselling training placements to those who are currently undertaking their professional training to become counselling therapists. We also deeply appreciate the voluntary time of qualified counsellors, and those in further training who wish to increase their counselling practice hours, work with a diverse client community, and contribute to the ethical accessibility of counselling practice.
We accept applications all year round!
Our next recruitment for volunteer trainee counsellors will be in Autumn 2023.
How To Apply
To be considered, please download the application form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th September 2023 to be considered for the Autumn intake.
Please download our placement application form;
We accept applications all year round, and can hold this on file until our next shortlisting event.
Who Can Apply?
We are deeply grateful to all those who choose to volunteer with us. To become a part of #teamAYA you will need to meet the following:
- You are enrolled in a formal counselling training programme at Level 4 or above. This training must include a face-to-face taught element; OR you must be a qualified counsellor. We accept applications from those in their first year of training
- Be a student or registered member of an Ethical Body (AYA works under the BACP guidelines)
- You are trained/practice in either an Integrative or Humanistic counselling modality
- While you are in training, you are required to be in personal therapy throughout the duration of your placement with us
- You agree to attend fortnightly group supervision while seeing clients within our service
- You agree to see 3 clients on a weekly basis during your commitment to us
- You are committed to the As You Are vision and values
What We Offer:
- Assessed and appropriately allocated diverse client group, providing weekly counselling sessions
- Medium-term therapy: 24 sessions offered to each client
- A range of training placements at different locations we work in
- Fortnightly supervision with BACP accredited and/or UKCP registered supervisors. Each group is typically diverse in terms of counsellor training levels
- Free counselling insurance while you see clients with us
- Free Disclosure and Barring Service Check (DBS)
- Access to free and subsidised counselling CPD training and professional workshops
- A thriving community of volunteers who are all passionate about ensuring counselling is accessible and affordable
- Social opportunities to network and build connections within the counselling community
As volunteers, we are so grateful for your time and generosity. We aim to make your counselling placement with us as rewarding as possible, with many opportunities for growth, development and fun! We are also conscious that training in counselling is a costly affair! Unfortunately as a small charity, we do have to ask you to make a contribution to the cost of your supervision. This is currently set at £20 per supervision session.
There are no other hidden costs within the organisation, though you may choose to invest in optional training opportunities while volunteering with us. Some of these are offered at subsidised costs.
If you are unable to find the information you are looking for on our website, please do contact our Management team. by filling in the form below: